Information on certification of different labs for lab created diamonds.
If you are a wholesaler, retailer or consumer the most vital document that contains information about diamond’s quality is its grading report or certificate. With a grading certification of lab grown diamonds you get a scientific blueprint of its characteristics and properties. It helps you to understand what you are buying and also enables you to justify the value and price you should be paying. To avoid any conflict of interest and biased grading, it is must to have a certification from a neutral third party. There are various reliable Gemological Labs that acts as a security screen for manmade and mined diamonds.
Different Grading Labs for lab grown diamonds:
Each entity grades and describes lab diamond differently. The lab certificate issued by this grading entity emphasis on different aspects of manmade diamonds like cut, clarity, color, length and width. Some of the most reputed diamond certification labs are:
- GIA (Gemological Institute of America): It is the most leading and trustworthy gemological laboratories in the world. They have offices in many cities around the world and headquarters being in Carlsbad, California. They are highly reputed and provide proven consistency. Based on color and clarity they have set a standard of accuracy in grading diamonds.
- IGI (International Gemological Institute): It is based in Antwerp, Belgium. Over the years it has become a trusted name of excellence in the field of grading for lab created diamonds. It is the biggest lab by quantity.
- AGS (American Gemological Society): This Lab takes the honor and pride to be the first to provide diamond cut grades. The AGS lab is the second most widely used lab service after GIA. When it comes to knowing how a diamond is cut to its ideal properties, AGS’s cut parameters and detailed analytics are unparalleled. Since decades it is offering its unique cut grade scale from 0 to 9 which is also used for lab made diamonds.
- EGL (European Gemological Laboratory): This Lab has a very big global presence and large market share in Europe. They are pioneers in diamond grading techniques that weigh less than one carat. Over the years due to conflict of EGL- USA with EGL- International it has lost much of its credibility and market share.
- HRD (Diamond High Council): HRD, abbr. of the Dutch “Hoge Raad voor Diamant”.This is a reliable and respected lab based in Antwerp and its certification and grading reports are more common in Europe even for lab diamonds.
Each lab carries out different criteria and standards when performing an assessment. It is important that we have thorough knowledge about these grading labs providing certificates for lab created diamonds. GIA and AGS tops the list for their consistency, reliability and are trustworthy followed by IGI, EGL and HRD. Most important thing is to evaluate the price you are paying. Both on certificate and naked eye, price paid for lab grown diamond should reflect the actual quality, beauty and cut of the diamond. Most of these labs have online confirmation system where one can check your gem and diamond purchases in accordance with their number, cut, weight and clarity.